Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Best Day of the Month

I arrived home last night after a long day at work and YoungLife. I crawled into bed around 10:00 p.m. with what I thought was my newest magazine subscription. I thought a kind and thoughtful person had sent me an early birthday gift (May 25....hint,hint) -- a subscription to Men's Health. Now, I'd much prefer a sub to Triathlete Mag or Bicycling, but hey I'm not complaining. Momma always told me that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I love magazines for two reasons: 1) they are short and 2) they are easy to transport for long road trips or plane rides. This bodes well for me because of 1) my ADD personality and 2) strong propensity to hop a plane and travel the world at a moments notice.

Sidenote: The only place my magazines don't go is the bathroom. To me, that's absolutely disgusting. I'm in there to do my business and nothing else -- probably more information than you ever cared to know, but my blog is all about honesty.

Anyhow, on to the original point of my post. :) As I crawled into bed, I was excited about my new reading material only to have a horrific discovery -- the front cover read Women's Health. AHHH!! What?!?

My birthday surprise soon turned southward as thoughts raced through my head about how I was going to get some evil person back for this AWFUL prank!! Now, my friends are not evil, but they are very clever and I would not put it past any of them to think of such a horrible trick. Once my blood pressure came back down to normal, I ripped open the package and see if I could find out who sent me this magazine.

Almost immediately, my horror turned into joy as the Women's Health cover fell on the floor uncovering the greatest sight I've seen this week -- my monthly RUNNER'S WORLD magazine. WOO HOO!! I look forward to this day all month long and it came just at the right time. I celebrated the arrival of the May issue and after a brief skim through I fell asleep more easily. Now, I've just got to avoid that baby until Thursday. I don't want to read all of it before my trip, that would be tragedy.

Keep running the race,

pbw



A note to the people at Runner's World -- why did you put an advertisement for Women's Health in front of your magazine? If anyone could fill me in on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. In my humble opinion, your magazine is far superior and needs to stand alone.

A note to those who are wondering why I get so excited about receiving reading material showing me how running can be "fun" -- let's schedule lunch or coffee, then you'll get a first hand glimpse into my craziness.

No comments: