Monday, April 14, 2008

IM AZ



This weekend, I had the privilege of volunteering at Ironman Arizona on Saturday and Sunday. I will not disclose the number of hours I worked because it's not important, but what I will say is that I was rewarded greatly. My reward: stories and a memory that I know will highlight my time in Arizona. It is amazing to me how giving of yourself -- your entire self -- can be so fulfilling. In today's culture that might sound counterintuitive, but it's true. On Saturday, I helped athletes place their T1 and T2 bags in the transition areas, walked them through the course and answered any miscellaneous questions they had. It was so much fun to see their excitement and anxiousness for the day ahead. The next morning bright and early I was there again to answer their questions as they made their morning preparations before the race, but the fun was yet to come.


I worked both transitions (T1 and T2) and got to assist guys, encourage them, and even get to know a few of them. The T1 transition was fast and furious as the athletes were still well hydrated and doing well. T2 was a completely different story. After 5-8 hours on a bike in windy conditions with temps reaching 95, the athletes were drained. The worst part was they still had a marathon to run. My team was there with cold rags, fluids, food, salt tablets, and someone to talk to. This is when I got to know and serve several athletes -- many of them I saw in T1 and T2. Our team was their "pit crew" during transition. To top off the day, I was there at the FINISH line when they crossed and helped them with fluids and food. It was pretty emotional watching them reunite with their families as well.


One guy I met was Andre. He was originally from South Africa and moved to Houston. He was absolutely drained by the time he got off the bike. While he was refueling we got to know each other. The medical staff wanted us to engage them in conversation to gage their alertness since it had been a brutal day out on the bike. About 10 minutes later, I had him set and sent him out on the run. I told him I would be waiting at the finish line. Sure enough...at 9:30 last night, nearly 14:30 hours after starting the race, I watched Andre cross the finish line, grab his medal and T-shirt, and be reunited with his fiancé. We also had some time to sit and chat over food after the race. I told him if I was ever back in Houston that I would look him up.


Those small stories made up my day yesterday. It was a day when I saw men and women push their bodies to the ultimate limit. It was a day when I saw endurance athletes at their best and worst. And the greatest part of it all was that I had the privilege of serving them all day long.

No comments: