Friday, April 11, 2008

Creature of Habit

I have to admit I'm a creature of habit. I think I realized it for the first time this morning as I ordered my grande bold coffee from Starbucks -- the same drink I always order. Many of you who know me have explained this to me over and over, but I don't think it's ever gotten through my thick skull. My sweet little grandmother always like to remind me, in her own gentle way, that I'll never get married because I'm so "set my ways" and hard headed.

Is this a bad thing? Why do I do things the same way over and over? Is it a product of my environment or of my upbringing or both? Do I like tradition because it gives me a sense of comfort? I'm still trying to figure out the answers to these questions.

I've learned a lot about myself as a person since I moved to Arizona. Just like in all things, my "tradition" or life as I always knew it was interrupted when I moved westward and I had to adjust in a big way. Has it been easy? Nope. Has it been worth it? I'm still trying to figure that out, but I think I will look back on this season in my life and see how the Lord used it to grow me and challenge me to obediently follow Him. I've been challenged to make new friends, find a new church, adjust to a new culture, and learn a new job.

God has used this time in my life to remind me that He is still in control and only He knows what is best for me. In the book of John, Jesus says, "I have come so that they may have life and have it abundantly." Jesus promises us an abundant/ fulfilled life if we follow Him. (Notice, he did not say "easy" or "safe" life) With that in mind, I want to chase after Him and not chase after what is comfortable.

On a lighter note, I thought I'd share some of my more humorous idiosyncraices/quirks.
  • I clean my entire house (top to bottom) before I leave on vacation/trip -- I know...wierd
  • I evenly space my hangers in my closet, button every button on every shirt, and hang all my pants facing the same direction.
  • I order my eggs sunny side up and never eat the yoke. I meticulously cut around it. My dad and brother love this because they like to sap it up with bread -- disgusting.
  • I have a flight routine/checklist that I go through at the airport. If you ever travel with me, get ready because I mean business and I challenge myself to get through security as quickly as possible.

I could share more, but I'll hold off. Do you have any quirks that when you think about them start laughing at yourself?

No comments: