Wednesday, May 6, 2009

No Plan, No Agenda

Recently, my life has been governed by my day planner. Everyday chalked full with school, work, volunteering, studying, social engagements, etc. And although I find a therapeutic benefit to having my life in order, I sometimes want to break out of the mold and do something spontaneous. So yesterday morning, I strapped on my running shoes and took off. I planned on going out for a short 3 mile run, but instead, end up running about 6 1/2 miles at a sub 8 minute mile pace. It was, by far, the biggest stress relief of my week. It was so much fun to run freely in the Keller countryside without an iPod, taking in the scenery, listening to the birds and roosters crowing, and sorting out life along the way.

I think we need times like these. Times where we can unplug and disconnect from the world, even if it is 45 minutes on a run through the countryside.

How do you "disconnect"? Do you find it freeing to get out and do something spontaneous every once in a while or does that drive you up a wall?

No comments: