Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Birthday to Remember

This afternoon, we returned to Nairobi from our white water rafting trip. What an incredible way to celebrate a birthday! My day started with a wake up call – a melodious rendition of “Happy Birthday” sung by my friends, Chad and Jill. Jill made breakfast bread which was nicely decorated with 3 candles that I could not blow out on the first try – the first sign of aging.

After breakfast, we met our river guide at the local market and drove about 2 hours north to the campground where we stayed over night. We were very fortunate to be the only 3 guests at the campground and the only 3 people on the river yesterday. We had it all to ourselves.

I can’t even begin to put into words our trip down the river. In fact, I’m not even going to begin to try. Suffice it say, we maneuvered through some tough class II, III, IV rapids and even one class V rapid. It was an incredible adventure. We also “surfed” a rapid in our raft which was awesome until yours truly took one for the team and went overboard. (Side note: I later found out from our guide that the entire boat would have turned over if I had not willingly given my body. I’m just trying to remain humble. He also gave props to Jill and Chad for pulling some of the best surfing he had seen in a long time.)

Before we ended our crazy river trip, we plunged off a 30 ft waterfall. I’ve posted a couple pictures below. In my opinion, the pictures do not do any sort of justice to the height of that jump. It was VERY HIGH!! I enjoyed it so much that I did it 3 more times. Jill and Chad also participated with several jumps of their own.

A Moment of Reflection: As I was climbing the cliff time after time, all I could think was how the Lord created us for “adventure.” Now maybe plunging off 30 foot waterfalls is not your idea of adventure, but I do feel like He created us for something bigger than only what our mind thinks is possible. And along those lines, I think He delights when we experience that “adventure” and all of the joy that comes along with it.

Our trip down the river was huge success due in large part to our awesome guide, Jordan. This guy is a jack of all trades – a trained EMT, wild fire fighter in the U.S., white water guide, volunteer medic at a hospital in Kenya, and B.A.S.E. jumper (which he demonstrated for us last night) – at only 22 years old. He really gave us the insider’s trip down the river and allowed us to experience some things that most big groups don’t get to do.

When we arrived back at camp, we had an amazing lunch and dinner, some down time to sit and chat, a couple competitive games of UNO (the Draw Four Wild Card got me every time), some star gazing, and a surprise birthday celebration. A huge THANK YOU goes out the entire staff at Savage Camp and our new friends -- Harriet (our hostess) and Jordan. They really went above and beyond what we could have ever expected.

No comments: