Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Trip to Kenya - Day 1

I don't know how I did it, but I have safely avoided any and all side effects of jet lag. I woke up this morning refreshed and ready to go. We took it easy this morning, enjoyed some Kenyan coffee and some great "catch up" conversation.

About noon, we headed to a local cafe for another round of Kenyan coffee before walking over to the Maasai Market. The Maasai tribe is one of many here in Kenya and they set up a "market" in downtown every Saturday where you can go and buy arts, crafts, jewelry, and everything in between. I had a blast interacting with the Maasai people, bargaining with them, and walking out with some great gifts at great prices. And the fun was just beginning.

Then, we took a matatu, a van that is supposed to seat 8 people, to the local grocery store. Did we put 8 people in that van? No. We put about 14! WOW! I'm sitting here blogging and my friends are comparing it to a mini-van back in the United States. If you know me, I have a serious problems with so-called "mv." I'll take a picture in the next few days and post it for you to decide. I doubt you will respond with "mv."

After our matatu ride and grocery store visit, we returned back to the apartment complex where I met some really cute Kenyan children. We played frisbee with them for almost 3 hours and I loved every minute of them. McDonald even taught me how to do a Tanzanian dance. I'll post our debut dance video later in the week when I get some more bandwith. Until then, enjoy pictures of me and Rose (age 4), who loved when I picked her up high in the air. "Again, again," she would say. You will also see a picture of me and my dance partner, McDonald, after we got through breaking it down. I'm sure you can't wait to see our video.

Finally, we had dinner at Habesha, an Ethiopian food restaurant. I've never tried Ethiopian food in my life, but it was yummy in my tummy. We shared a plate of food along with the shekla. To eat the meal, you unroll the shekla like a paper towel, break off a piece and then pick up some of the many delicacies on the plate. I'll make sure to post some pictures of our meal later this weekend.
I can't believe I'm here for 11 more days. Tomorrow is church which should be absolutely incredible.

No comments: