Friday, May 22, 2009

HOWDY from Africa!

It's current 8:30 p.m. local time here in Nairobi, Kenya and my body and bags have arrived safely. Back in the States, you are probably enjoying a nice Friday lunch.

Here are a couple brief notes on my travel experience before I sign off for the night to visit with my friends and get a good night's sleep.
  • International travel is not as difficult as I was expecting. It's different, but not too unnerving. I did have to show my passport about 15 million times from the time I left Houston until I arrived in Kenya. I wanted to plaster that thing to my head I was having to show it so much.
  • KLM Airlines are a bunch of rock stars. They served two meals on each flight and a dessert and tea. It was great. I didn't have to spend a dime of money from the time I left Houston.
  • I traveled from Amsterdam to Kenya alongside a very nice European lady. She giggled every time I said "yes, ma'am" or "no ma'am." Her comment was "ohh, you Americans are so cordial and polite." (in a really neat English accent) I took that as a compliment.
  • I flew into Kenya in the dark so I can't comment on the landscape, but I can comment on the unbelievable, out of control, heart stopping driving and traffic situation. It was incredible. You might be asking -- are there any traffic lights? Yes. Are they in working order? Yes. Do they follow them? Nope! We ran more than 5 red lights on our way to the apartment from the airport.

Well, my friend is about to beat if I don't shut this post down so I'm going to log off. I can't wait to share the rest of my visit to Africa with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safe! We will continue to pray for you and the impact you will make there. Gig 'em, Travis