Sunday, February 1, 2009

Running the Race's "Top 20"

There is a "viral" post floating around Facebook where if you are one of 25 people tagged, you must reply back and post 25 things that people might not know about you. Personally, I have learned some very interesting things about my friends through these posts; however, I have not responded myself. So the wait is over and I'm caving into peer pressure, but my list has a little twist.

Without further ado, here are the top 20 things (I like to be unique) you may or may not know about me.

1. My family means the world to me. Between both sets of grandparents and my parents, I have more than 100 years of marriage experience to draw from.

2. My first half marathon entry was a Christmas present from a friend. He asked me to run in the Austin half marathon in February 2003 to celebrate our last semester at Texas A&M. Now, six half marathons and six full marathons later, I'm still hooked and still running.

3. I was born on Memorial Day 1981. Every so often (like this year), my birthday will fall on Memorial Day.

4. My 16th birthday gift was a trip to the College World Series in Omaha, NE with my dad. I will never forget that trip for as long as I live....and if you are wondering, I did get a car too.

5. I was 5'0 tall when I graduated from high school. And even though I've grown 10 inches since then, some of my friends still call me "Little Guy."

6. I have several nicknames. I guess Burke is really hard to pronounce. Here are a couple: Bucky, Burkle, Burkey (only reserved for my momma), Little Guy, Puppy, Stoney, White Kenyan, PB, and B Dub, and Extreme Brother (reserved for a couple of my YoungLife kids).

7. I've escaped a bus fire returning from a YoungLife trip to Windy Gap, NC in the summer of 2005.

8. I love to travel and visit my friends. I'm preparing for my first overseas trip this coming May. I'll share more on this blog soon!!

9. Birthdays and anniversaries are a big deal to me. I really like celebrating my friends and family's big days and marriage milestones.

10. I like doing things that other people think are absolutely crazy like flying from New York to Arizona to interview for a job the day after a marathon, like traveling to Galveston from College Station just to see the sunrise and then making it back for my first class.

11. My running playlist on my iPod consists mostly of cheesy love ballads because it helps keep my heart rate down while I run. I only have a few fast songs on my iPod for that last kick home.

12. Photography is a hobby that I'd like to pursue as I get older. I've got the camera -- now I just need to invest in learning how to use it effectively.

13. Thirteen is my favorite number. It's also the favorite number of one of my good friends. Rock and Stone shout out.

14. I don't watch much TV, but my DVR is always set to record The Office and Grey's Anatomy. I love when I can watch those shows without the commercials.

15. I'm a new uncle and I'm on a quest to assert myself as the Best Uncle in the World. I even make my 8 year old niece tell me that before she gets off the phone with me.

16. I coached two Little League baseball teams while I was out in Scottsdale. By far, some of the greastest memories of my time in Arizona. I can't wait to coach again after I get out of school.

17. During one YoungLife skit, I ate sardines, turkey and dressing baby food, and washed it down with prune juice. Can you say Fear Factor?

18. I was voted "Most Spirited" in my high school graduating class. Does this title fit me?

19. When I was growing up, I dreamed about being the pilot of Air Force One. Some kids dream of being fire fighters or police officers or sports stars, not me.

20. I'm extremely OCD about my closet. My clothes are evenly spaced and arranged in ROYGBIV order and also broken up into categories -- short sleeves, polos, button downs, slacks and blue jeans. I also use white plastic hangers and wooden hangers for my nicer shirts and suits.

1 comment:

Abby said...

#6: Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a tough time pronouncing "Burke." I think it's that last syllable that gives me the most trouble.

#9: Great! February 28, buddy. Think Starbucks.

#11: Aaron Neville/Linda Ronstadt duets no doubt.

#16: Yeah. My taking time out of my busy workday to talk to you was the other one.