Sunday, February 22, 2009

Waiting

This weekend my parents and grandparents came up to celebrate my aunt's birthday and grandparents' 55th wedding anniversary. Yes, you read that correctly -- 55. I had a great time hanging out with the fam. Last night after dinner, we sat down for a family movie -- Fireproof. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend it.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about the discipline of waiting.

John Waller recorded a song played in the movie called "Waiting" (my new theme song). It struck a chord with me because the Lord taught me that very same message early in the week and brought it home with this song. Here are the lyrics to the song if you have not heard it before.

I'm waiting.
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident.
Taking every step in obedience.
While I'm waiting I will serve You.
While I'm waiting I will worship.
While I'm waiting I will not faint.
I'll be running the race even while I wait.

I'm waiting.
I'm waiting on You, Lord.
And I am peaceful.
I'm waiting on You, Lord.
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord

I'm confident that there are areas in all of our lives where we are waiting on the Lord to work. We want him to move us to a new place, we need a new job, we want Him to introduce us to our future spouse, we want Him to heal a broken relationship or any number of other things. But sometimes He wants us to WAIT -- to patiently wait for His good and perfect timing.

The last line of the second verse states, "I'll be running the race even while I wait" (how fitting for this blog). No longer will I sit around idle wondering when the Lord is going to give me what I'm asking for. Instead, I'm going to keep running the race each and every day, seeking and serving Him with everything I've got.

What is the Lord asking you to wait on? Do you have the patience and perseverence to continue running the race while you wait?

No comments: