Thursday, February 12, 2009

Memories

Last night, I made a flying trip to Houston for an informational session at BCM for PA school. While I was in town, I attended a Westside High School Freshman YoungLife club. Just being in the area and being around the kids brought back so many wonderful memories of my time in Houston, TX. Last night, many of the kids Will, Heather, Julie, and I took to Frontier Ranch in 2007 were up in front of the freshman as leaders. It was cool to watch!!

I think a lot of times we fail to stop for a minute and remember or think on all of the wonderful things the Lord is doing in our lives on a daily basis. It is not until we are away from those things or they are taken away that we truly realize how precious they really were.

Over the course of three years, I was able to meet and get to know a lot of kids who walked the halls of Westside High School. I got the chance to watch them struggle and succeed; experience life -- good and bad; mature and grow up; and finally, graduate and head off to college. It was a special time in their lives and, little did they know, it was a special time in mine as well.

I'll never be able to replace the memories of chaufering car loads of guys all over Houston, traveling to watch them play baseball or wrestle, the countless dinners with my "extreme brothers" at Raising Canes, talking about life over the grill with my campaigner guys, or being with a high school senior as he shared that he had accepted Christ. I could list countless other memories of my time serving with YoungLife in Houston, but I'll probably need to think about writing a book.

Last night reminded me "stop" more often and remember the countless ways the Lord has faithfully worked and continues to work in my life.

(Funny side note: The kids were quick to remind me about "Coach Kilwalsky" and "Java Joe" and his fellow Starbucks' Superhero, "Mocha Choca Latte." I guess you never grow out of your YoungLife skit characters.)

No comments: