Sunday, November 2, 2008

Trick or Treat

Let me preface this post by saying that I don't agree with everything Halloween is all about.

However, I live in a relatively new neighborhood with a lot of little kids and knew that I would have few stop by to trick or treat. At that point I had two decisions, not answer the door and pretend I wasn't at home or go out and purchase several bags of "good" candy and sit out and meet my new neighbors and kids that came by my house. I chose the second option. I got the opportunity to see kids' faces light up throughout the night as they dug through my candy basket. I had the opportunity to interact with Transformers, princesses, Superman, Batman, police man, fire fighters, football players, and Hannah Montana throughout the night and it was a blast!!

I'm a firm believer in the fact that the Lord wants us to pursue life with excellence and not just mediocrity. He wants us to achieve our goals not just "get by." He wants us to impact the lives of others and not just concentrate on ourselves. And in so doing, learn more about who He is and how to reflect His glory.

I don't want this mindset of EXCELLENCE stops at giving out candy at Halloween. I want it to be apart of every aspect of my life. I want to live that way. I want to serve that way. I want honor God that way.

No comments: