Monday, November 10, 2008

One GOAL, One JOURNEY

Today begins a 10-week journey that I hope ends victoriously on the streets of downtown Houston on January 18, 2009. Victory for me on that day in January is not standing on the podium, but rather, achieving a qualifying time for the Boston Marathon.

According to the qualifying standards set forth by the Boston Athletic Association, I must run a 3:10 marathon. My last attempt at this standard fell horribly short, but I've picked myself up, doctored my wounds, and I'm ready to go out and conquer this goal. It's going to take grit, determination and a lot of dedication to reach this lofty goal and I'm planning to bring you along for the ride over the next 10 weeks. You will see my highs and lows, so buckle up and get ready.

For those of you that are interested, I'm using a 10 week training program developed by a coach with Triathlete magazine. It focuses on target heart rate zones and mixes in some time on the bike and in the pool for cross training. I'm planning to tweak it a bit to strengthen my strengths and work on some of my weaknesses -- all with the goal of getting me to the finish line under 3:10.

How awesome would it be to qualify in the city that you once called "home" and one that you grew up around?

One of the hardest parts of this 10 week training season will be the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and the massive amounts of food intake that will ensure as well as final exams at school. I've made it a goal to keep my eye on the prize and only take in a couple of my grandmother's scrumptous Martha Washington treats and keep my intake of my dad's award winning sweet potatoes to a minimum.

If you see me spending too much time around the treat counter during the holidays, be sure to hold me accountable. And finally, it's not humorous to tempt me with things that you know I can't eat while you proceed to stuff yourself with all things artery clogging and sugar filled. :)

I can't wait to share this journey with you. As I said in a previous post, anything worth doing is only worth doing with EXCELLENCE. I'm going to carry out my plan and accomplish my goal with excellence.

No comments: