Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Road to Boston - Training Update #1

I'm two weeks into my "journey" that I mentioned on this blog. I originally planned to post my training updates every week so that you at home could follow me and share in my journey. Well....that didn't really happen after week #1. So today, I'm going to bring you up to speed on my first two weeks. Look for my weekly updates every Sunday if you are interested in tracking my progress. I will also continue to post throughout the week -- but it might not be all about my training.

Plan: 10-week marathon training plan, implements cross training elements (cycling and swimming), from Triathlete magazine. The plan is based solely on heart rate zones calculated from my VO2 max and time on my feet. You will not see me talk a lot about mileage although I'm covering quite a bit of mileage in each of my runs.

Last week update:
Monday -- Rest
Tuesday -- Yasso 800s (4) -- 3:09, 3:14, 3:12, and 3:12
(I'm planning to build to 12 Yassos by the end of my training)
Wednesday -- Strength training, recovery run in Zone 1 <156 bpm for 30 minutes c 5 minute cooldown
Thursday -- Rest
Friday -- 5 minute warm up Zone 1, 10 minutes in Zone 2 with 6/ :20 pickups, 20 minutes in Zone 3, 5 minute cooldown
Saturday (in Waco) -- 15 minute warm up Zone 1, 20 minutes in Zone 3, 10 minutes in Zone 4, and 15 minutes in Zone 1
Sunday -- Long run -- 30 minutes in Zone 2 and 60 minutes in Zone 3

This week:
Monday -- Rest
Tuesday -- Took another day off due to extremely sore legs
Wednesday -- 5 minute warm up, 30 minute run building to the top of Zone 2
Thursday -- 30 minute tempo on bike (<90 rpm) top of Zone 2; 30 minutes of cardio strength training

**My knee started bothering me about three months ago. I've taken several precautions to make sure that it remains uninjured as I build my mileage. Thankfully this program is set up in a way that you build for two weeks in a row followed by a maintenance week. It also mixes in some great cross training on the bike and in the pool especially during the maintenance weeks. Just something to keep an eye on throughout my training.

Running the Race,
pbw

No comments: