Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Starbucks Experience

Many of you who read this blog know that I have a deep, deep appreciation for a good hot cup of Starbucks coffee. Nothing gets me going in the morning better than my morning cup of joe.

I received two Starbucks gift cards for my birthday from two very generous people who know me very well. With this "free money" I figured I could go to Starbucks every day for two weeks without spending a dime on coffee. My budget applauded.

So my adventure began...I picked my favorite store (had about 10 to choose from in a 5 mile radicus) and consistently patronized the store for the past two weeks. During that time, I've gotten to know a few of the baristas, they have gotten to know me and what my drink of choice is -- venti Pike Place with no room. I also bring my Starbucks mug that KB got me from Seattle to be "extra official."

This is where the cool part comes in....

Every morning for the past week, I've been greeted with a "Good Morning Burke, can I get that mug filled up for you?" "Absolutely," I respond. In addition to my morning cup of coffee, I've also been enjoying reading the Word, journaling, and reading through a book called "The Knowledge of the Holy" by AW Tozer.

Yesterday, as I was ordering my coffee, Ashley -- my barista -- noticed the book I was reading. We got a chance to talk about it and discuss it briefly. Then, she mentioned that she would like to read it. AWESOME!! Just so happens that I had a second copy of the book at home. So this morning, I brought my extra coffee by the store and dropped it off. The other baristas took notice and asked if they could read it as well. The Lord is working in my neighborhood Starbucks!!

I'm so pumped. I don't care if I have to pay $1.85 every morning I'm going to keep showing up.

It was God's subtle reminder that His Spirit is alive and moving in every aspect of our life. Every one of us -- whether we deny it or accept it -- has a God sized hole in our hearts that longs to be filled by Him. Every one of us, including myself, try to fill that hole with material things that continue to leave us empty and we must constantly be reminded that only God can fill that space and complete us.

No comments: