Monday, June 9, 2008

Life in the Fast Lane

I just returned from a four day adventure in God's country -- Texas. It has become a past time of mine since moving out to Arizona. I've traveled for a variety of different reasons over the past year and half including weddings, wedding parties, bachelor parties, races, the birth of my niece, holidays, etc. Did I mention weddings?

With each weekend I board my favorite airline -- Southwest Airlines -- who employ my favorite flight attendants and my favorite pilots who love to make kamikaze stops on the runway. What a rush!!

If you've had the pleasure of traveling with me or have asked me about my travel, you might know that I have an airport routine. This routine is designed to move me through check-in, the security checkpoint, and on to my gate as quickly and efficiently as possible. I have a little contest with myself every time I travel. It's two fold:

  • Beat my current "personal best" time on getting through check-in and security (PR: <5:00)

  • Get to the airport in just enough time to walk straight on my plane!

If I'm able to accomplish these two goals, I've had a successful day at the office. If you are asking yourself, "Burke, how can I become more efficient at the airport?" I invite you to follow these simple guidelines.


  • While packing your carry on bag, leave on pouch empty. This will come in handy at the airport.

  • Check your flight's gate information. It will come in handy later.

  • On your way to the airport, memorize your confirmation and flight number. It's normally 6 characters in length. Store it in short term memory and you will be good to go. If this is too hard for you, you might need to reconsider going back to elementary school.

  • While in the check-in line, start stripping. No, not your clothes, just your jewelery, watch, cell phone, belt, wallet, etc. Store these items in your "empty pouch" in your carry on, but keep your ID or passport handy. You will save valuable time in security if you take care of this while you are waiting to check in.

  • Review your confirmation code again.

  • Proceed to the nearest electronic check in. This should move very fast since you already have your confirmation number memorized.

  • Proceed directly to your gate without being told where to go. Always think one step ahead.

  • Move through through security with your ID and ticket in hand. If you have a lap top, go ahead and take it out as your move through the line. This will expedite the process. Also, untie your shoes as you move through the line. Or better yet, wear flip flops -- easy on, easy off.

  • Grab two grey bins and only two. Toss your carry on on the conveyor belt. Your laptop in a bin and your shoes in a seperate bin. THEY MUST BE IN A SEPERATE BIN. Don't ask me why? Because TSA made the rules. Remember, I don't make the rules.

  • CONGRATULATIONS! You successfully made it through security, passing several slow pokes in the process.

So, why did I want to post on airport security today? Because several airports, including my beloved Houston Hobby, are trying out this new system to break up the lines. Check this out.



GET OUT OF MY WAY, BLACK DIAMOND HERE I COME!! I was one happy camper. "Expert Traveler" had my name written all over it yesterday. I was in the line with several of my Type A personality friends who were also trying to achieve personal bests in getting through security in the quickest time. I felt like I was racing in a sprint triathlon with only one transition.

No comments: