Friday, June 27, 2008

The Little Things....

Isn't it funny how your priorities begin to change as you grow older? Now, I realize I'm still in my 20s, but I can't help but see what I cherish and really desire in life beginning to change. Before I went off to college my goals in life were based largely in material things. And while I still set goals for myself and a bi-monthly paycheck is a very nice thing to pay the bills and live a little, it is not what drives me on a day to day basis.

I noticed this last night when I decided to bake some banana bread, carrying on a family tradition that I hope to pass along to my kids one day. One of my fondest memories as a child was eating my Grandpa's banana bread -- his speciality -- with butter smeared all over it. I used to look forward to those little individual loaves he'd make so that me and my brother would not fight over them. PURE GOODNESS! To be fair and since I'm an equal opportunity blogger, my grandmother is an extraordinary chef and baker in her own right. In fact, I have to give a shout out to my grandmother's banana pudding. Although I continue to tease her about a little incident a few years ago (which I will not mention on this blog to protect the identity and integrity of all parties involved), I still jump at the opportunity to dive into a big bowl of her banana pudding. Again, PURE GOODNESS!

Life has become more about the little things like family traditions and long conversations about life with family and friends, and less about achieving "worldly" success. It has become more about being present to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries and the birth of children and less about "keeping up with the Jones." I don't pretend to be 100% solid in this area in my life, but I'm finding everyday a "little thing" to appreciate.

No comments: