Friday, June 13, 2008

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto (or Ironboy)!!


This weekend, five friends (Michael, Scott, Robert, Carter and West) from Houston and myself will take to the water and streets of Lawrence, Kansas in a quest to become half Ironman. I think the word "excited" is a little bit of an understatment at this point. I'm so excited that I went ahead and packed my suitcase last night.

**I even remembered to pack my running shoes so that I don't have the same experience that I had a few weeks ago in Tempe.**

Yesterday, my friend sent me a message of encouragement for my race this weekend. He pointed out something that I've never thought of before, so I'm passing it along to you for consideration. Here is his thought:
If you complete full Ironman, people call you an "Ironman." If you complete a half Ironman [which is what I'm competing in this weekend], do people call you an "Ironboy"? Because calling someone a "half Ironman" just isn't working for me.
Thanks, Neil for the observation. You have a very valid point. So if I complete the race this weekend, you are more than welcome to call me "Ironboy" the time you see me.

No comments: