Monday, October 27, 2008

R4: Ragnar Relay Race Recap

An update from this weekend's Ragnar Relay Race:

12 runners + 180 miles + 25 hours + 2 vans + 3 navigators/encouragers/coaches/cheerleaders + little to no sleep + several Gu packs = 1 UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE. My only regret is that I was not one of the runners participating. A group of us drove down to San Antonio on Thursday night and stayed with the family of one of the participants. The next morning we woke up, had a little breakfast, and headed to the start line for our 11 a.m. start time. It was then that we would begin to experience every emotion. Ones that ranged from triumph to disappointment, struggle to fatigue, joy and pure elation to anger and frustation -- all wrapped up in a nice 25 hour period. You really learn a lot about someone when you spend a full day with them in a 12 passenger van.

Although I was not participating, I absolutely enjoyed every minute of serving everyone on our team. I bandaged up torn calf muscles, stretched tight hamstrings, and massaged cramping calves. It really hit me that I was currently in the midst of something special that I would remember for a long time when I realized that I was out in the middle of Hwy 290 between Johnson City and Austin encouraging one of my best friends during a run at 4 AM!!!

To my friends who participating and the new friends I made along the way....thank you! I absolutely enjoyed every minute of our ride together.

I'll post pictures from the event once I get them downloaded and receive them from our team.

CONGRATULATIONS TEAM CHARIOTS OF ASPHALT!! I'm looking forward to next year.

(Editor's note: I slept soundly for 13 hours on Saturday night after returning to the DFW area and I'm still not caught up.)

No comments: