Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's the little things...

I love the "little things" in life. Sometimes I can get so busy and so wrapped up in life that I don't stop to appreciate these things that bring me so much joy, but the Lord has His own little way of reminding me from time to time. Yesterday was one of those days.

Over the past month, I've been in charge of organizing the shipment of 10 care packages to a colleague of mine who is currently serving overseas in the Army. It has been a true joy to serve in this capacity, but it has also also a ton of work. On Friday, I mailed 9 of the 10 boxes -- holding one back for someone to include a note they wrote from the weekend. I mailed that final package yesterday on my lunch hour.

As I stepped up to the counter at the Post Office, a man walked up behind me (unbeknowingest to me) and asked if I was sending a care package to a soldier. I responded with a polite, "yes, sir, I am." He then dropped a $10 to cover the shippping and said, "I'd like to do my part to help out" and walked away. I was shocked. I didn't even have the chance to get his name. He just wanted to "pay to forward." Since I didn't get a chance to speak with him, I don't know if he was a follower of Christ or not, but in that instance, he was Christ personified. He wanted no recognition; he just wanted to serve others faithfully.

Have you ever wanted to serve someone without them knowing? If not, I challenge you to find a way to do that over the next few weeks. I'm going to challenge myself to do the same.

BTW....more on my fun filled weekend of BASEBALL, BASEBALL, BASEBALL soon!!

No comments: