Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Life of a College Student

What comes to mind when you think about the daily schedule of a college student? You probably envision it going something like this.....sleep, wake up at 9 or 10, eat, attend a class or two, afternoon nap, study for 10 minutes just to keep yourself honest, hang out with friends, eat some more, late night partying with friends, back to sleep, and the process starts all over again.

I guess I'm anything but an ordinary college student. I wanted to give you an idea of what my normal day looks like now that I've decided to go back to school.

I wake up around 5:30 or 6:00, pack my lunch, grab some breakfast and I'm out the door. I have about a 30 minute drive from Keller to Arlington which I'm enjoying because its my "Burke time" before I start the day. Once I arrive on campus, I work out (you wouldn't even recognize me I'm so ripped....well, that's a little bit of an overstatement) and then head to class. I have a morning class every day, labs on Monday and Wednesday and I'm normally out of school by 12:30 every day. In between classes, I'm studying -- every minute is precious -- or blogging. :)

After school it's off to work. I'm working two jobs which keep me busy until about 7 or 7:30 at which time I head home for a quick bite to eat and then it's off to my room to study some more. I'm normally in bed by 11:00 and I've put a self imposed weekday curfew of midnight on myself.

I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends right now, but I'm having a blast doing it. I feel like I'm more efficient now than I've ever been, because if I don't, I'll fall behind and it will not be pretty.

What's your normal day look like? Are you finding time for yourself amongst the busyness of school or work, taking the kids to soccer practice, social engagements, volunteering, etc?

I don't see it as selfish to take care of yourself every day. It's important. If you don't, you will be doing a disservice to those around you because you are so ineffective.

Make it a GREAT day!!!

No comments: