Friday, June 12, 2009

Recharge

It's been a little more than a week since I returned to the States and to say that I "hit the ground running" is a little bit of an understatment. It is better to characterize it as I hit the ground sprinting like I was trying to outrun Usain Bolt in the 100m dash.

I've been looking forward to today this entire week. I knew that with first round of tests, work, and volunteer activities that I was going to running around DFW a lot. But I also knew that at the end of that tunnel, I had scheduled some time to recharge my battery.

This morning, I slept in until 7:45 a.m. Now, some people might not consider that sleeping in, but when you are waking up every morning at 5:00 a.m., almost three more hours of sleep seems like a dream come true. I got up this morning, enjoyed some Kenyan brew, some biscuits with my favorite peanut butter and syrup, went for a nice run, cleaned my room, and just spent some time by myself. And because of it, I'm completely recharged and ready to go back at it.

This has been one of the biggest lessons I've tried to apply to my life since returning from Africa. I realize there will be times when I'm moving at mach speed. That is just life. But I've learned to recognize those times and make sure I have some down time scheduled to recharge my battery and refill my tank.

Have you made some time recently to recharge your battery so that you can continue to be an effective mom or dad, brother or sister, colleague, friend, etc.? If not, I'd encourage you to find that time soon.

No comments: